My Reading List

Not book reviews, but rather my thoughts and opinions on the subject matter, and/or author. Page/chapter numbers refer to the point I've read; i.e. pg. 35 means I'm up to page 35 but not farther. Chapter 6 means I've read up to the end of Chapter 5, &c
There will be spoilers and also a lot of swearing. I read a lot of true crime and criminals make me mad. Comments in brackets and red are not part of my original, hand written notes.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Boston Stranglers

"The Boston Stranglers" by Susan Kelly.
paperback      started May 1, 2014  finished: May 4, 2014

[My notes verbatim. Neglected to include page or chapters numbers]
Re-read w/ updates- I remember reading this several years ago- it makes a strong case that Albert DeSalvo was not the Strangler, that there was probably not 1 serial killer especially considering the victim disparity in age and race. I sort of even like Albert even though he's not 100% innocent. Reminds me of [my friend].

The "Green Man" defense makes no sense: Albert is so crazy is committed murders, therefore also crazy during the sexual assaults. WAT? Seems bizarre and counter-intuitive.

Scary easy which [how] Albert broke into homes.

F. Lee Baily is a dick.

Albert: "I wouldn't hurt no broads. I love broads!"

pg 432 Mary Sullivan's mother gave, as a Thank you gift to the priest who performed Last Rites on Mary, a paten-but the priest never acknowledged the gift. I specifically remembered this part, but some how I had associated it with the De Feo murders or Amityville. The 1st copyright is 1995. I must have read it before July, that's when I went to boot camp. I remember my mom saying that Albert was most certainly the killer because, she claimed, they had caught him in the victim's apt. I think she confused him with Richard Speck or another killer [Albert was never charged with the "Strangler" killings]. 

Albert was the same age I am now when he was stabbed to death in prison.

According to the internet, in July 2013, Martha Coakley said DNA evidence in Mary Sullivan's murder matched Albert's. I'm extremely skeptical- they didn't want to do it [DNA testing] in 2002 claiming the evidence was "lost".

[I couldn't help but like Albert DeSalvo a bit. He never came across as violent. He was caught burglarizing a home in order to get Valentine's Day gifts for his wife and daughter. He was utterly devoted to his wife. I supposed it is possible that he was guilty. Being likable isn't proof of innocence]