My Reading List

Not book reviews, but rather my thoughts and opinions on the subject matter, and/or author. Page/chapter numbers refer to the point I've read; i.e. pg. 35 means I'm up to page 35 but not farther. Chapter 6 means I've read up to the end of Chapter 5, &c
There will be spoilers and also a lot of swearing. I read a lot of true crime and criminals make me mad. Comments in brackets and red are not part of my original, hand written notes.

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Starvation Heights

"Starvation Heights" by Gregg Olson.
ebook version     start: 27 February, 2014  

My notes, verbatim:

At chapter 5: the sisters [Claire and Dora Williamson] sound a lot like hypochondriac F-tard, and now under the "Dr's" care a sort of anorexia. Hazzard [Dr. Linda Hazzard] is an unbelievable bitch and sadistic. I looked up a photo of her and she just looks mean.

Chapter 11: these people, (the Hazzards) are pure evil-sadistic thieving assholes.

Chapter 37: For some reason, the way she [Linda Hazzard] speaks and whispers "Lies!" reminds me of my grandmother, mean and manipulative. Even though the trial takes place Jan 1912-either my grandma wasn't born yet or possibly as old as 5. [Aside: my grandmother's year of birth is somewhat ambiguous. She always maintained she was born on July 13, 1912 which she claimed was a Friday (it wasn't). My mother's birth-certificate is altered under "Mother's Birthdate". She also threw a huge hissy fit when my mother asked for her birth certificate. The nearest Friday the 13th for July is 1906 (going backward, pretty sure she would fudge upwards)]

Finished: so the "Dr" was found guilty of manslaughter and served 2 years in prison. She died in 1938 or so. I don't know why she reminds me so much of my grandmother. Her manipulativeness? The way she treated her husband? My grandmother never murdered anyone (AFAIK).